How Do You Remove a Lien Against Your Property? Requesting a Certificate of Release Part III
Requesting a Certificate of Release If the Federal tax lien has not been released, you can request a Certificate of Release of Federal Tax Lien. The request must be in writing and should be mailed to the Advisory Group servicing your area. Use Publication 4235, Collection Advisory Group Addresses, to determine the address to mail your request.
Your request must contain the following information:
• The date of your request
• The name and address of the taxpayer
• One copy of each Notice of Federal Tax Lien you want released
• Why the lien should be released
• A telephone number with the best time for us to call you should we need additional information
If you have paid the tax liability, enclose a copy of any of the following with your request:
• An Internal Revenue receipt
• A canceled check
• A record of payment by electronic fund transfer
• Any other acceptable proof of payment
We may need to research your account. We will provide a certificate of release once we have confirmed your liability is satisfied.
Next week – How to request an immediate Certificate of Release?
(IRS.gov Publication 1450) (TTT 12/18/18)