The IRS “What Ifs” for Struggling Taxpayers – Job Related (A-1)

The IRS “What Ifs” for Struggling Taxpayers – Job Related (A-1)
What if I lose my job?
The loss of a job may create new tax issues. Severance pay and unemployment
compensation are taxable. Payments for any accumulated vacation or sick time also are
taxable. You should ensure that enough taxes are withheld from these payments or make
estimated tax payments to avoid a big bill at tax time. Public assistance and food stamps
are not taxable. The IRS has updated a helpful publication which lists a number of job-
loss related tax issues. For more information, see  Publication 4128, Tax Impact of Job

What if I receive unemployment compensation?
Unemployment compensation you received under the unemployment compensation laws
of the United States or of a state must be included in your income. It is taxable income. If
you received unemployment compensation, you should receive Form 1099-G showing the
amount you were paid and any federal income tax you elected to have withheld. Some
states do not mail Form 1099-G; recipients need to get the electronic version from their
state’s website. For more information, see  Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable
(IRS Web Site Updated 3/28/22) (TTT 06/07/22)