The IRS “What Ifs” for Struggling Taxpayers – Tax Related (C-6)

What if I can’t resolve my tax problem with the IRS?

Contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS). TAS is an independent organization
within the IRS whose employees assist taxpayers who are experiencing economic harm,
who are seeking help in resolving tax problems that have not been resolved through
normal channels, or who believe that an IRS system or procedure is not working as it

You can contact TAS by calling the TAS toll-free case intake line at  877-777-4778  or
TTY/TDD  800-829-4059  to determine whether you are eligible for assistance. You can
also call or write to your local taxpayer advocate, whose phone number and address are
listed in your local telephone directory and in Publication 1546, Taxpayer Advocate
Service – Your Voice at the IRS. You can file Form 911, Request For Taxpayer
Advocate Service Assistance (And Application for Taxpayer Assistance Order), or ask an
IRS employee to complete it on your behalf. For more information, go to  Taxpayer
Advocate Service .
(IRS Web Site Updated 03/28/22) (TTT 09/06/22)