Posted on

Who do I contact if I need help dealing with the bill from the IRS? (Part III)

Who do I contact if I need help dealing with the bill from the IRS? (Part III)

You can find help at the Internal Revenue Service, Taxpayer Advocate Service, Low Income Taxpayer Clinics (if eligible), or/and a license tax professional – Certified Public Accountant, Enrolled Agent, or an Attorney.

Internal Revenue Service The IRS web site ( has many free resources. It should be your first stop for help. You can find answers with the Interactive Tax Assistant at You can also call them with any questions you may have. Call the number on your bill or 1-800-829-1040. There may be a wait time before reaching someone so plan accordingly. Another option is to visit your local IRS office to speak with an IRS representative in person (an appointment may be required).

Taxpayer Advocate Service

The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is an independent organization within the Internal Revenue Service that helps taxpayers and protects taxpayer rights. They help taxpayers whose problems with the IRS are causing financial difficulties, who’ve tried but have not been able to resolve their problems with the IRS, or believe an IRS system or procedure isn’t working as it should. Their service is free. Your local advocate’s number is at and in your local directory. You can also call them at 1-877-777-4778. For more information about TAS and your rights under the Taxpayer Bill of Rights, go to

Next week – We will briefly explain how the Low-Income Taxpayer Clinics and license tax professional can help.

(IRS Publication 594) (TTT 08/06/19)